As a blogger – one of the most annoying scenarios has to be when you tell someone that you’re a blogger and they respond with “but blogging isn’t a real job”.
This is something I’ve come across a lot both in “real life” and online in light of THAT showdown between vlogger Elle Darby and the White Moose Hotel in Dublin. “She should get herself a real job..” Let’s all roll our eyes together in 3…2…1…
*This post contains affiliate links which means I may receive a small commission if you make a purchase through my link. This is at no extra cost to you! I will not endorse any products or brands which I do not believe in*
I’m going to start off by saying that I know blogging isn’t a job for everyone. Lots of my blogging friends do it as a hobby and that is GREAT. I also want to point out that I don’t blog full-time. Yet. But I do make some income from my blog so I would definitely say that it’s a part-time job (even though I contribute almost the same number of hours as I do in my office job!).
In fact, when you break it down, blogging is a lot of jobs rolled into one title! Starting with…
This is probably the most obvious one. Your content ideas, writing style and the presentation of your posts are what makes your blog unique. That being said, writing your own content should only take up around 20% of your blogging time (allegedly!)
Social Media Manager
If 20% of your time is spent creating the content – the other 80% should be spent promoting it. Your blog alone just isn’t enough anymore, social media is crucial to maintaining a successful blog. I use Twitter, Facebook, Pinterest and Instagram to promote my blog and I’m always on the look-out for new social media channels to take advantage of!
I always make sure that I respond to all blog comments left on my posts and every message I get on social media. It’s so appreciated when people take a bit of time out of their day to get in touch!
Every good blog post needs images – whether it’s for SEO purposes or just to break up some bulky text. I’ll be the first one to admit that my photographs are far from professional. It’s something I really hope to work on over the next few months. I do try and use my own photos where I can and not rely on stock photos all the time.
You wouldn’t believe it if I told you how many hours I regularly spend doing research for my blog. Whether that’s researching specific topics for a post I’m writing or finding out the best way to tackle the latest social media algorithms. I would highly recommend doing some (read: lots) of research into SEO (Search Engine Optimisation). It will make a huge difference in how well your posts perform online.
As I said earlier, it’s so important to include at least one image in each of your blog post. If you can make it a “Pinnable” image (i.e 735 x 1102) that’s even better! I use Canva to make all of mine.
You’ve got to keep on top of those earnings so that you can fill in the all-important tax forms at the end of the year. I also keep an eye on my outgoings in relation to my blog and social media. For example, blogging and scheduling tools such as Tailwind – which comes out of my account as a monthly cost.
Keeping an eye on your analytics isn’t just important for your blog itself. I use the analytics you can access on Facebook, Twitter and Instagram to make sure that I’m sending out my social media updates when my followers are most likely to be engaged.
As nice as it would be, sponsored post and brand collaborations don’t just come to you. Well, sometimes they do but more often than not, the blogger reaches out to the brand first. As a blogger you have to learn how to write perfect pitches to make your blog stand out and make brands want to work with you! and most importantly….
My blog is my baby, and my business. Yes I think blogging is really fun and enjoyable, but I take it seriously. Anyone who knows me knows that I run MeganSays on a strict schedule and I have everything planned to a “T”.
All decisions relating to my blog ultimately fall on my shoulders. All of the money invested comes out of my own pocket so it’s no wonder I run a tight ship!
So the next time someone tries to tell you that blogging isn’t a “real job” – let’s give ourselves the credit we deserve!